Do you know you can access your iPhone or iPad’s Flashlight, Clock, Calculator, Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb feature and more with only two taps? All of these apps and features are available via the iOS Control Center. To quickly access the Control Center, tap on the Home button on the face of the device, then press your finger on the grey line that appears just above the Home button and simultaneously slide your finger up. You’ll lift a curtain to reveal the Control Center. Use the image below as a guide.
The Control Center was added in iOS 7 in 2013, but I find that many people haven’t found it. I use it almost daily when I need a flashlight, to set a timer to remind me when my parking will expire or calculate a tip. The Control Center is enabled by default, but there are two options that I recommend. To access these options, tap on Settings and then tap on Control Center. Enable access from the Lock Screen and within Apps.
Accessing Control Center is pretty easy. I’ve shown you how to access it from the Lock Screen. To access it within an app, swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone’s screen. Start your swipe slightly off the screen, right next to the home button. Experiment a bit to find what works best for you.
There are two ways to hide Control Center. Either tap the slightly bent line that appears at the top, in the middle of the Control Center area. Alternatively, simply tap outside of the Control Center, on another portion of your device’s screen.
Here’s a quick overview of most of the buttons you see in the Control Center.
- Airplane Mode – Tap this button to turn on Airplane Mode Airplane Mode is on when the icon is white. Tap it again (so it turns black) to turn it off.
- Wi-Fi – Tap this button to turn on your device’s Wi-Fi capabilities. Again, Wi-Fi is one when the icon is white.
- Bluetooth – Simply tap this icon to enable bluetooth so your device can connect to Bluetooth peripherals like a earpiece or keyboard.
- Do Not Disturb – Want to your iPhone silent for a while? Tap this icon to turn on Do Not Disturb. If you’ve already set up Do Not Disturb, this enables the settings you’ve already got.
- Screen Rotation Lock – To prevent the screen from rotating when you turn your device, tap this icon.
- Brightness – Use this slider to adjust your iPhone screen’s brightness.
- Music Controls – These buttons let you control the music playing on your device. The progress bar shows your location within a song or podcast. You can drag the line in this bar to move forward or backward. The buttons underneath it let you move to the last song, play/pause, or move to the next song. The slider below that controls volume.
- Flashlight – Tap this icon to enable your camera’s flash.
- Clock – Tap this icon to open the Clock app. This app lets you to set an alarm or timer, use the stopwatch or check the time in another time zone.
- Calculator – Tap this icon to open the Calculator app.
- Camera – Tap this icon to open the Camera app.