Do you listen to either music or audio books on your iPhone or iPad as you fall asleep? If so, you could set the iPhone or iPad’s timer to stop playing music, then let the device go to sleep on its own a minute or two later. Here are the instructions:
- Open the Clock app on your iPhone or iPad. (These instructions should work on an iPod Touch, but I don’t have one so I can’t test it.)
- Tap on the Timer button.
- Spin the hour and minute dials to the desired time, such as 30 minutes or 1 hour.
- Tap on the “When Timer Ends” button if you have an iPhone or the “Sounds” button if you have an iPad. Then scroll to the bottom of the list of options and select “Sleep iPod.” (Note: In newer versions of the iOS software, Apple renamed this option to “Stop Playing.”)
- Tap the Start button to begin the timer.
- Press the Home button to exit the Clock app.
- Open the iPod app and listen to your music or audiobook.When the timer ends, your device will stop playing your music or audiobook. Then, based on your device’s Auto-Lock settings, it will go to sleep a few minutes later. (Note: In newer versions of the iOS software, Apple renamed the iPod app to Music. Furthermore, in iOS 6 they added a separate app named Podcast. This Timer function works in both the Music and Podcast apps.)